Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Acting Jobs

In Texas, the job for which I am qualified that I find most interesting is at Esther's Follies in Austin.  A long standing, vaudeville-style venue for magic, satire, sketch comedy, improv and more, Esther's Follies holds a reputation as the source for giggles in the capitol.  Their company holds a highly skilled group of performers who I can personally attest are perhaps some of the most hilarious people around.
Cast members of Esther's Follies, located in the heart of
downtown Austin on historic 6th Street.
I have a history of improvisation.  As a teenager, I performed multiple seasons as an improv actor in the performance company of the Texas Renaissance Festival.  Appropriate for Esther's Follies, my performances there were farcical.  Also, I've spent quite a bit of time doing stand-up, impersonation and parody work in my career as a female illusionist, so quick wit and satire come quite easily to me. Most of all, comedy has always held a special place in my heart.  It is such a relief from a sometimes overwhelming world to be able to laugh at it.  To bring that laughter to others is a joy beyond explanation.

The job in Texas in which I am most interested but for which I am not necessarily qualified is as a member of the Alley Theatre's resident company in Houston.  One of the few true resident theatres in America, the Alley Theatre looks first to its resident company of actors to cast all of its shows, only casting non-company actors on an as-needed basis.  A position with their company would ensure a stable and profitable career as an actor, but would most importantly allow the rare opportunity to tackle a wide variety of pieces and allowing my work to become prolific in scale.

The Alley Theatre's recent production of the provocative
Venus in Fur in November 2013.

The downside of this aspiration is that I do not feel at this early stage in career that I am qualified.  The Alley Theatre's company members hold impressive resumes, and all seemed to have already been accomplished artists before joining the company.  Many of them also hold or have held careers as professors at universities, private acting coaches and artistic directors.  They are perhaps some of the most reputable and established actors in Texas, and to become part of the company, I would certainly need to establish a reputation myself before joining them.

Outside of Texas, I feel I could experience much success as a female illusionist around the country, but any queen will tell you that the most envied of drag gigs are in Las Vegas in the famous illusion shows.  Many performers have earned resident positions in illusion revues around the city. Currently, a newer venue for drag, the Drink & Drag Lounge, is taking applications for drag performers.  These queens not only perform in shows, they serve as personalities offstage to entertain guests.  Improvisation technique and quick wit is therefore a must.


Although I have only been a drag performer for less than two years, I have had the most professional success not as Christopher Preslar, but as Emerald Van Cartier.  The former crowned Miss Austin Superstar, Emerald has been booked for a variety of different shows (one shamelessly plugged below), including impersonation gigs (Cher, Lana Del Rey, Liza Minelli), live singing acts, parodies and even host positions implementing stand-up comedy and improvisation.


Now, performances at drag bars is one thing, but a principal role in a broadway show is quite another.  The upcoming Broadway production of Hedwig and The Angry Inch is about to premiere starring Neil Patrick Harris, and it would be a dream of mine to replace him after he ends his contract.  Of course, I am not a famous actor and gay icon like Neil Patrick Harris - indeed, I don't even have an AEA membership, so this dream realistically speaking would of course not be realized, but I would offer something new to the table as an actual real-life drag performer; however, recent speculation reports that former RuPaul's Drag Race winner Jinkx Monsoon may have beaten me to it, possibly returning to the role of Hedwig she played in Seattle on Broadway.

Neil Patrick Harris will rock audiences
in Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

No comments:

Post a Comment